- Well draining.
- Calathea require a standard well balanced potting mix that drains easily.
- A good blend would be a generic potting mix with added perlite and orchid bark.
- Apply a weak dose of a nitrogen rich foliage fertiliser once or twice a month during the growing season.
- As with most variegated plants, Calathea need plenty of diffused light however direct sunlight will cause the leaves to fade and lose their markings.
- They can tolerate some degree of shade, but the better the light conditions, the more you will be rewarded by fine foliage.
- Experiment in your home to find the perfect spot for your plant.
- Calathea must be kept in damp soil at all times, but definitely do not allow the plant to sit in water or in very wet soil.